Toronto Police News-release
Fraud targeting people seeking Taxi services
Public Safety Alert,Taxi Fraud
Broadcast time: 10:00
Thursday, July 16, 2020
Case #: 2020-1199531
The Toronto Police Service would like to make the public aware of a fraud targeting people seeking taxi services.
It is reported that:
– a person waves down a taxi cab and requests a ride to a destination
– once at the destination, the victim is asked to pay with a debit card
– the taxi driver advises they do not have change and do not accept credit payment
– the taxi driver provides the victim with a debit card machine
– the victim uses the debit card machine by placing their card into the device
– during the transaction, the taxi driver switches the victim’s card with another person’s debit card
The police would like to remind the public to always:
– keep your card in your possession
– do not give your card to anyone
– do not return a debit card machine with your card still inserted
– inspect your card after each transaction to ensure it is your card
Anyone with information is asked to contact police at 416-808-1400, Crime Stoppers anonymously at 416-222-TIPS (8477), online at www.222tips.com, online on our Facebook Leave a Tip page, or text TOR and your message to CRIMES (274637). Download the free Crime Stoppers Mobile App on iTunes or Google Play.
For more news, visit TPSnews.ca.